Re: GUI Configuration tool for main Debian window managers

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015, 11:52:15 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:17 AM, john Lutz wrote:
> > I was wondering how one would one go about building
> > a GUI tool to cover every imaginable setting via a GUI
> > interface for the majority of standard live and other installed
> > Debian distribtion?.. And what tools / standards
> > are required by such?
>
> There is no standard mechanism to configure all software in Debian,
> the first step would be to pick an existing standard and convince all
> upstream developers to switch to it. Personally I don't think this is
> a feasible project, there are too many opinions on how to configure
> software and too much software with more complex configuration (such
> as programming languages or domain-specific languages) requirements
> for there to be any chance of global agreement amongst Free Software
> developers.

There was webmin/usermin for a long time in debian, until it was kicked off.
The repo masters claimed, bacaus of "bad coding". They named ist "Spaghetti
code" or similar.

Since then a long time passed, almost 6 or 7 years, but no one looked at it
again since then, although webmin is still under active development.

This is just my personal opinion: For me this looks odd, when bad coding is
the reason for being kicked off in debian, then many other packages are in the
same danger, to be kicked off. (without any flamewar: i.e. systemd is also to be
mourned about difficult, hard understanding code etc.)

Hans