Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond

Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net> writes:
> On Wed, 2014-12-31 at 12:04 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think UsePAM yes is the only sane default for Debian, though, and
>> people who choose to change that default are legitimately on their own.

> I've used UsePAM no for many years without any real issues, as you said
> it depends what you want (account locking, etc.)... and in general I
> feel it's a bad thing if Debian says "if you don't use our defaults,
> you're screwed and on your own"...

Well, there's "you're on your own" and then there's "you're screwed."  The
former doesn't need to imply the latter.  In this case, the "you're on
your own" means "expect to have to manually reproduce a lot of the work
that PAM was otherwise going to do for you."  If you open the hood and
remove the transmission, it's reasonable to expect to have to spend a fair
bit of time working out how to get the car to go again.  That doesn't mean
that the radiator should therefore explode.  :)

> But apart from that, I don't see much problems from the OpenSSH side
> here, the only thing necessary is that one has an "up-to-date" /etc/motd
> (i.e. regularly created).

Yeah, exactly.  In this case, all you lose is a basically cosmetic
feature.