What is the correct way to set owner to package's files?

Hello.

I didn't know where to put this question. It's not only debian-specific,
but it concerns packaging in common.

Our company is distributing some software splitted into packages (deb
and rpm). Almost all files are installed into /opt/<prefix> and
specifically all of them must be owned by some user <user>.

My duty is to set up packaging of them all. And I have a problem:
I'm using chroot environments to build out software, build process run
under the root user and therefore all the files in /opt/<prefix> are
owned by root. I need them to be owned by <user>.

The question is what's the correct way to set owner?

The previous build system was running build and packaging processes
under <user>. But it's not possible now because we have switched to
chroot environments.

I suppose that the more sane way is to change owners for files in
postinst scripts. Am I right? What can be the problems I'll face to?

Thanks.