Re: dbconfig-common: near future change in dependency stack

Mathias Behrle dijo [Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:16:38AM +0100]:
> Some questions for Tryton server:
>
> The situation is
>
> - Tryton server runs out of the box without configuration with a SQLite
>   database
> - The (strongly) recommended database is PostgreSQL, but there is also support
>   for MySQL (and beta for Oracle)
> - There is a standalone package called Neso (Tryton Neso), that provides a
>   simple combined setup of Tryton client and server (using SQLite), depending
>   on those two.
>
> Would it be possible for the last point to skip completely the database
> configuration (e.g. dbconfig* not jumping in at all, when tryton-neso pulls in
> tryton-server)?
>
> What would be the best way to handle the strong preference for PostgreSQL?
> MySQL is supported for Tryton, but fails to complete some tests due to missing
> Standard SQL compliance. So I dislike generally the idea to install a
> client package for MySQL on a default system. The solution would probably be to
> not implement at all the option for MySQL, right?

Ummm, I think this level of detail is where you should not leave it up
to the package manager only, but explain the situation to the user, be
it (very succintly) as part of your debconf prompts, or (better?) via
a README.Debian