Re: dbconfig-common: near future change in dependency stack

Hi Mathias,

On 08-12-15 10:16, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> Would it be possible for the last point to skip completely the database
> configuration (e.g. dbconfig* not jumping in at all, when tryton-neso pulls in
> tryton-server)?

I believe this is something that you would need to implement inside the
configuration of tryton-neso/server maintainer scripts. I.e. don't call
the dbconfig-common dbc_go commands in the tryton-server maintainer
scripts when it detects (non-trivial) that also tryson-neso is (about to
be) installed.

> What would be the best way to handle the strong preference for PostgreSQL?
> MySQL is supported for Tryton, but fails to complete some tests due to missing
> Standard SQL compliance. So I dislike generally the idea to install a
> client package for MySQL on a default system. The solution would probably be to
> not implement at all the option for MySQL, right?

I assume you don't like the dbconfig-pgsql | dbconfig-mysql |
dbconfig-no-thanks dependency alternatives? By default the user will
then get pgsql. Then I believe your option is to not activate the MySQL
support in your package.

> Since the production use of tryton-server usually needs some other tweaking to
> be done in the configuration file, the use of dbconfig* for Tryton is limited
> anyway. I prefer until now to provide a detailed configuration file and README,
> but of course I am open to suggestions.

Sounds reasonable, but if the db support can be handled, why not. What
would you say you are missing from dbconfig-common?

Paul