Re: dbconfig-common: near future change in dependency stack

Hi Clint,

On 06-12-15 18:22, Clint Byrum wrote:
> I've never been very happy with
> dbconfig-common because it kind of assumes databases are on the same
> server as apps, which is increasingly not the case with smaller server
> instances running in VMs, on the cloud and in containers.

I am totally flabbergasted. dbconfig-common goes through a lot of hoops
just to make sure this is not true. Sure, the *default* questions and
answers are geared towards local database servers. But by either
(re-)configuring dbconfig-common to raise the priority level of remote
questions by default, or by raising the priority level during package
configuring will get you the questions needed to configure your remote
database. (Of course we can discuss what the proper priorities are but I
really hope no DD will think (anymore) that dbconfig-common assumes
local databases.)

And yes, there is still bug 700895¹ (improve dbadmin-less database
configuration workflow).

Paul
¹ https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=700895