Re: vim plugin dependency and libruby

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 08:24:15AM +1100, Craig Small wrote:
> I've been helping someone with a vim plugin called vim-command-t[1] and
> we've both hit a snag.  The problem is that when I used pbuilder it
> linked the plugin to libruby 2.2 but my vim is linked to libruby2.1

Your vim is outdated, then.  Vim was rebuilt over 2 weeks ago as part of
the Ruby 2.2 transition.  The only time there should be a discrepancy is
in the middle of a transition.

> Now, the package has in its dependencies libruby2.2. libruby2.2 and
> libruby2.1 are both installed. As far as dpkg is concerned, all is well.
>
> Is there some way of putting some dependency onto vim to say "I want
> the vim linked to libruby2.2". One idea is to figure out what version
> they did link to it and put that in, but that's hard to maintain and
> doesn't work across architectures nicely.
>
> Generically the problem is:
>   binary foo linked to libbar1, control file pulls in libbar1
>   plugin baz linked to libbar2, control file pulls in libbar2
>
> But when foo tries to load plugin baz, it fails. Is it a problem with
> the plugin? Should it be using "ruby things" via the binary?

No, it's just normal turbulence during a transition.  I don't think
there's anything in particular that needs to be done.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>