Re: git, debian/<version> tags, dgit - namespace proposal [and 1 more messages]

Daniel Reurich writes ("Re: git, debian/<version> tags, dgit - namespace proposal [and 1 more messages]"):
> "archive" is rather indescript and confusing too.

Sadly there's not space for an essay, and the underlying situation
(particularly, the existing use of the DEP-14 namespace) is already
confusing :-/.

> Why not use {quilt,native,gitsrc...}/{debian,ubuntu,devuan}/<version>
> thus tying it to the source format.

It has nothing to do with the source format.  That's the opposite of
what this tag namespace is for.  For a package and version this git
tag refers to the source code that you'd get out of `apt-get source'
or dpkg-source -x, _regardless_ of the source format.

You might find dgit(7) relevant (although what I've written here ought
to be enough if you know enough[1] about Debian git packaging).

Thanks,
Ian.

[1] Enough knowledge in this case will definitely cost you some sanity
points.