Re: Copyright file granularity

Quoting Osamu Aoki (2015-11-15 04:07:10)
> Please note one type of de-facto exception which is not documented but
> widely accepted.  FTP master has accepted such packages with the GNU
> permissive type license on autotools generated files.  I see almost no
> one follow the rule literary on these files.

Right - 72 packages register GAP licensing terms (plus maybe some not
using machine-readable files with that common license shortname):

https://codesearch.debian.net/results/License%3A%20GAP%20path%3A%2Fdebian%2Fcopyright/page_0

> They are slightly different files to files and are nothing but noise
> for then purpose we use debian/copyright if we pedantically list them.

Registering such files is not simply noise: It is a way of signalling
"this file has been checked and is believed to be DFSG-compliant", which
is is quite different from "this file was added in a later upstream
release, was not checked by the package maintainer nor by the ftpteam".

 - Jonas