Re: Copyright file granularity

On 13/11/15 17:10, Wookey wrote:
> The criteria that makes most sense to me is 'by licence'.

+1

> I just uploaded rosdistro
> (https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ros-rosdistro) and got a comment from
> the reviewing ftpmaster that combining the two different copyright holders for BSD-3-clause files into one stanza was not really right:
> https://sources.debian.net/src/ros-rosdistro/0.4.2-1/debian/copyright/

This particular example names Willow Garage third clause of the BSD-3-clause
text, which (I'm guessing) was not there for the Open Source Robotics
Foundation copyrighted files. Being a common modification I think that listing
the generic BSD-3-clause (saying copyright holder(s)) should be fine, at least
if upstream claims the project to be under the BSD-3-clause license, on the
safe side it would be better to list both licenses stating that in some files
this slightly modified version of the BSD-3-clause license was found, but IANAL.

Happy hacking,