Re: Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> systemd isn't the first package to allow/promote shipping distro
> settings in "/lib" or "/usr/lib" and overriding them via "/etc"; udev
> and polkit/policykit have behaved like this for a long time. There's
> also "/usr/lib/sysctl.d/" where a distro ship settings that can be
> overridden via "/etc/sysctl.d/".

"/usr/lib/sysctl.d/" is systemd specific.  Dropping files there won't do
anything unless you run the  systemd-sysctl service.

"/etc/sysctl.d/" used to be owned by procps, and will still be used by
/etc/init.d/procps whether or not you run systemd-sysctl.

I don't think anyone wants another systemd thread, so I suggest you all
keep the systemd examples to a minimum.  It's a bloody mess.

Bjørn