Re: Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:04:01 +0100, Alec Leamas
<leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/11/15 10:37, Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:24:52 -0800, Josh Triplett
>> <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
>>> Vincent Danjean wrote:
>
>> I violently disagree. We have always done it the other way, and had
>> the advantage that our conffile handling (which used to be and IMO
>> still is far superior to everything else other distributions have)
>> could notice if _both_ local changes and distribution changes happened
>> and ask the use what to do in this case.
>>
>> Adopting the systemd way here deprives our users of this advantage,
>> reducing Debian's operation safety.
>
>please... I'm a newbie looking for help. If you want to discuss
>systemd's configuration, please start a new thread.

This is debian-devel, not -user.

>BTW, note that the /etc/systemd/system local overrides don't need to be
>complete files, just the things locally changed. systemd merges the /lib
>and /etc files to the actual unit.

Which is a significant threat to safety if the /lib part changes in a
way that is incompatible to the local admin's local changes in /etc. I
mentioned that in my article in the Jane Jones paragraph.

Greetings
Marc