Re: PCRE package naming

Hi,

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> On 22.10.2015 16:47, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>
> > Upstream has a new PCRE library, which they hope everyone will
> > eventually migrate to, which is called PCRE2. It is currently version
> > 10.20. It ships things named like libpcre2-8.so.0, and its pcregrep is
> > called pcre2grep.
>
> That should probably translate to "libpcre2-8-0" and "libpcre2-dev",
> although it is suboptimal that the existing -dev package is called
> "libpcre3-dev", probably for historical reasons.
>
> > The natural thing to call the PCRE2 packages is pcre2, but that's going
> > to lead to confusion - ISTM that something that makes it clear that
> > PCRE2 is newer than PCRE is desirable. And, obviously, PCRE & PCRE2 need
> > to be co-installable.
>
> The shared libraries will be co-installable without problems, obviously.
> For the -dev packages, I wonder whether pcre2 can be used as a drop-in
> (which would lead almost certainly mean that the -dev packages would
> conflict)

No, the -dev packages will need to be co-installable, too. I expect
we'll need to ship PCRE (including its -dev package) for quite some time.

...so I'm still not sure what to call PCRE2 :-/

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."