Re: Linux kernels v3.18.x and v4.2.x in sid

Hi,

On Sat, 2015-10-24 at 01:02 +0200, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> On 23/10/2015 22:43, James Cowgill wrote:
> > If you specifically want 3.18, you can download it from
> > snapshot.debian.org. http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux/
>
> Thanks, James! I tried to search for "linux-image" but it finds only
> kernels from squeeze and wheezy repos:
>
> > https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=linux-image

I think this was already mentioned, but since the search generated too
many results, only the first 100 were given. If you set the suite to
sid then you might find what you are looking for.

> Perhaps
> >
> there is some trick with that UI interface. Anyway, I read a
> note on http://snapshot.debian.org/ concerning how to add snapshots
> repository to apt-get. I have added the following to
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> > deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20150208T160746Z/ sid main
[...]
> Still no 3.18.6 in the output of "apt-cache search linux-image". What
> I did wrong? Does it matter what repo to pick up?

3.18 was only ever in experimental, so you need to replace sid with
experimental in your sources line.

> Also from what I see, the latest 3.18 kernel in snapshot repo is
> 3.18.6, however kernel.org has releases up to 3.18.22. Is it because
> the kernel was superseded by 3.19 so there are no more builds for 3.18
> branch?

Yes

> Will it be OK then to take 3.19.6 kernel from stability point of
> view?

If you want something which gets updated and gets bug fixes, you
shouldn't be using snapshot.d.o and instead use a kernel from the main
archive. Install "linux-image-amd64" to get the latest one from sid.

James