Re: init script, installed but not activated

On 08/10/15 04:45, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-10-08 at 00:36 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> Debian daemons should by default start - then those not wanting them to
>> start can suppress that.  The opposite requires far more custom work for
>> those who do want daemons to start than it does to suppress startup.
>
> Yes, I'm inclined to agree - in general at least.

I believe that the two use cases (service start by default or not) could
be satisfied for everyone if we removed startup scripts from service
packages and provided them as separate packages. This way, we wouldn't
have to impose one way or the other to the user.

For instance how about a package "slapd" that does not provide
/etc/init.d/slapd, and another package "slapd-systemd" that provides the
systemd-specific service files only, with of course a dependency on
"slapd" and "systemd". The package "slapd" could recommend
"slapd-systemd", APT::Install-Recommends defaults to true so the change
would be transparent to the users.

I understand that this represents a shift in policy that can have
unforeseen consequences. On the other hand, being the "universal" OS
suggests that not only the most common use case should be considered.

As a side-effect, this approach would allow creating packages such as
"slapd-sysvinit", "slapd-runit" or "slapd-s6" if we wanted to support
multiple init and/or service supervisor systems.

--
Mat <mat@parad0x.org>