Re: init script, installed but not activated

Quoting Brian May (2015-10-08 00:11:19)
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 at 08:35 Nick Phillips <nick.phillips@otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd prefer that packages get a default configuration and
>> services are never enabled on install. However, I get that some/many
>> people would prefer that debconf ask them enough questions to
>> configure a package and that the service be enabled by the end of the
>> install.
>
> For a (rare?) example I have had recently where I prefer services
> don't get configured or enabled on install, consider build-depends
> required for testing.
>
> I have a python library in Debian that build depends on slapd.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/python-tldap
>
> It does this because it has tests that require slapd. The tests create
> a slapd database and run slapd on a non-standard port.
>
> Unfortunately, when slapd gets installed it automatically configures a
> database (completely redundant) and starts a slapd instance on the
> default ldap port. This means you can't build my package in a schroot
> instance on a host that is already running slapd on the port (e.g.
> another build instance), because it will fail to install slapd.
>
> It would be much better (for testing) if I could just install the
> slapd daemon without doing any of the automatic configuration.

When you do "debootstrap --variant=buildd" it will add a policy-rc.d
file to suppress starting slapd.  If schroot doesn't provide such
mechanism on its own then consider install policyrcd-script-zg2 package.

 - Jonas