Re: Defaulting to i686 for the Debian i386 architecture

On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 20:43 +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote...
>
> > We propose to drop support for i386 processors older than 686-class in
> > the current release cycle.  This would include folding libc6-i686 into
> > libc6, changing the default target for gcc, and changing the 586 kernel
> > flavour to 686 (non-PAE).
>
> Could please provide information that helps to identify systems
> affected by this? Probably that is absence of certain flags in
> /proc/cpuinfo. FWIW, I suspect none of my remaining i386 installations
> will have issues from that switch but I'd like to know in advance.

So far as I know the required feature flags are: fpu tsc cx8 cmov;
and the CPUs that have them are:

* AMD Geode GX, LX, SC1200
* Cyrix MII
* Intel Pentium M 'Banias'
* NSC Geode GXLV(?), GX1, GX/GX2, GXm, SC1100
* Transmeta Crusoe
* VIA C3-2 'Nehemiah'

These CPUs additionally have pae and can run the 686-pae flavour:

* AMD Geode NX, Athlon (K7), Athlon 64, Duron, Opteron, Sempron,
  Turion, Phenom, etc.
* Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/4/4M/D, Xeon, Core, Atom, Pentium M 'Dothan',
  Celeron, etc.
* Transmeta Efficeon
* VIA C7, Nano

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source