Re: DAK Commands for Bikesheds

On 14067 March 1977, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Second, the reason why I started writing: I defined the possible
> commands for the upcoming bikeshed feature, which use the same command
> interface as the DM commands do.

And there has been the very valid point that I haven't explained here
what the heck bikesheds are. Some people know it from being at DebConf
or watching the videos, but thats hardly all of -devel/-dak, so here it
goes:

Bikesheds are personal suites in an archive provided by the FTPMasters.
They have initially been described in [1] and a only slightly modified
version incorporating some feedback is what they will be based on.

They can be set up in whichever way the Creator (any DD, possibly also
DMs) can imagine (and that makes sense) and support package imports from
their base suite (say, import mailfilter from wheezy) and possibly
depended-on bikesheds, can support mergebacks into their base-suite (if
that one accepts such an option). The masters of a bikeshed can select
which architectures are supported, who exactly has upload rights[2],
remove packages, ... - basically do all modifications as needed, except
for NEW handling.

And if there aren't enough knobs to fiddle with and have just your own
version in the commands spec I sent out, I'm sure we can add more, now
and later on.

Also, to make them proper bikesheds, one can even set their color, maybe
even a full set of style information!

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00131.html
[2] From the Debian keyring. A version allowing external people to
    upload will follow later, on a different host and archive. Called
    PPAEXT in that proposal.

--
bye, Joerg
"Gna, schon wieder Seti [...] Dabei ist es schon schwierig genug, auf