Re: [CTTE #741573] Debian Menu System

Hi,

I am happy to hear this but this reminds me to think again ...

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 08:34:14PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> The technical committee was asked in #741573 to decide an issue of
> Debian technical policy regarding menu regarding the menu system.
>
> ==== RESOLUTION ====

>    2. In addition to those changes, the Technical Committee resolves
>       that packages providing a .desktop file shall not also provide a
>       menu file for the same application.

That's good idea in general.  I hope lintian warning should come soon.

This reminds me some DE dependent .desktop file.  Is there any best
practice how to do it for Debian?  KDE app not showing up on GNOME and
vice versa.  How to decide how much .desktop data are NotShowIn for what
environment?

Another question: Is there any list of DE names supporting .desktop
file?  Whitelisting with "OnlyShowIn" entry requires such list.

Maybe we shoyld recommend explicit black list using "NotShowIn" entry
over whitelisting with "OnlyShowIn" entry.

Regards,

Osamu