Re: Security concerns with minified javascript code

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Why do you care that software is in main, if you evidently do not care about
> any of the rules we have for it?

I don't think that implying that Vincent doesn't not care about Free
Software is very constructive.

Can we please stop this now?

If all the energy spent in this thread would have been spent in improving
our javascript ecosystem, it would have been better.

I understand both sides of this discussion and it's a hard problem.

I used to package wordpress with its share of javascript. I maintain
publican which embeds 3 javascript libraries (jquery, jquery.carrousel,
highlight.js).

In both cases, I worked around the problem by shipping the upstream
sources in debian/missing-sources/ but I did not support doing changes
there and did not rebuild the embedded libraries.

In some cases, I do replace the embedded library with a symlink to the
packaged files and I even created dh_linktree to make this easier.

I certainly do not want to move wordpress or publican to contrib because
some of the javascript libraries that it uses can't be rebuilt from main.
I certainly wish we could do it but it's not an itch that I want to
scratch.

Do you see now how you question is not constructive? The javascript bits
are free software and are often a small part of a bigger project that is
free software.

As long as we provide the non-minified javascript files along with all
the embedded copies that we have, we are respecting our social contract.
If some people want to go further, fine, they have all my support.
But now I'd like that people stop to give lessons to their fellow DD who
are actively trying to package parts of the javascript world.

If we want to solve this, we need more such persons, not less.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer