Re: Summary of the DebConf firmware discussion

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015, at 11:04, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:

> I see how non-free firmware is needed, espacially if the installation
> can't proceed due to missing network connectivity. But after it's done,
> after the user (possibly completely oblivious of what they did) clicked
> said button to proceed (he needed it anyways, right?), I'd like another
> message of the like: "You know, when you clicked back then, we installed
> non-free software. This is uncool because... Would you like to
> deactivate it now?".

 Firmware also receives updates and security updates, and they are no
 joke.

How Uncool would it be to increase the security risks of users that
installed packages from non-free? I'd say uncool enough to never even
suggest it.

That is one of the good reasons to partitionate non-free for firmware.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>