Re: Summary of the DebConf firmware discussion

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> On the other hand that state went on for years and we should be able
>> to form our own opinion about freeness and how to abide to our
>> commitment to users and free software.
>
> We have formed our own opinion. Repeatedly, over many years and many
> votes. We can certainly have another vote if there is the desire to do
> so. But implying that we have not formed our own opinion up to now is
> IMHO just wrong.

I think the key distinction this time around is that the outcome would
be a fairly narrow exception, which would allow for both "pure" and
"non-pure" official media.

Is a vote truly necessary?  The Social Contract seems to be
sufficiently flexible already:

SC#1 says, "We will never make the system require the use of a
non-free component."  The availability of a "non-pure" image does not
impose any requirement for it to be used.  It simply becomes one more
choice that a user can make.  That is more freedom, not less IMHO.

SC#5 says, "We have created contrib and non-free areas in our archive
for these works."  These images could simply be considered as part of
the non-free archive.

Best wishes,
Mike