Re: system upgrade by systemd

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 03:32:35PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:26:13 +0200, Matthias Klumpp <mak@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >1) This feature is not enabled by default. It only gets triggered if a
> >frontend tool makes use of it, and will not be activated automatically. So,
> >you will only see it when you use GNOME with GNOME-Software or any other
> >tool which triggers the functionality. Also, if it triggers the offline
> >update, you will have chosen to do that by clicking the "Reboot and
> >Restart" button.
>
> An offline update should, however, check double and triple before
> _un_installing packages. This one seems to go with "apt do anything as
> you wish including bad things and non-interactively", which is an
> unacceptable choice.

I think the main problem is that this method is used on unstable where
it is not reasonable to do so, while (at least to me) it seems very
useful to provide to out stable users.

Don't shoot the messenger if our unstable is so bad right now that even
APT messes up.  So let's just disable (or not make the default) the
automatic updates on testing/unstable for now.

Michael