Re: Minutes from the "32bit architectures in Debian"-bof

On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 10:45 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > >
> > > Brand-new 32-bit-only x86 hardware is currently being sold, and will
> > > continue to be in the future.  In particular, the Quark embedded
> > > platform is a 32-bit x86, roughly i586-class, with no 64-bit support,
> > > and no MMX or SSE, though it has a few modern instruction set extensions
> > > (notably for security).  So, i386 needs to stick around for the
> > > foreseeable future.
> > [...]
> >
> > The last I heard, all Quark chips have serious bugs that prevent Debian
> > i386 from running on them.
>
> News to me; I've successfully booted Debian on the Quark I have.  Do you
> have any additional information about this?
>
> As far as I know, the primary issue there is that Quark doesn't have
> some MSRs that i586/i686 systems have, so code that assumes those on certain
> classes and doesn't check for them will break.  But as far as I know
> those issues have been patched upstream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quark#Segfault_bug

Lots more errata here with no workaround:
http://download.intel.com/support/processors/quark/sb/329677_quark_spec
update_004.pdf

This goes way beyond the usual obscure flaws that can be fixed in
microcode or BIOS updates, or workarounds in the kernel.  The fact that
these errata aren't even being corrected in a later stepping is a good
indication of just how few fucks Intel gives about this product line.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings