Re: Security concerns with minified javascript code

Quoting Scott Kitterman (2015-08-25 17:57:11)
> On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 05:12:56 PM Vincent Bernat wrote:
>> ❦ 25 août 2015 16:04 +0200, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> :

>>> Do we actually require re-minifying JS code at build time?
>>
>> No, we don't require to rebuild everything from source. It should
>> just be possible to do it with what is in main. The last occurrence
>> that I can find of this discussion is here:
>>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/11/msg00929.html
>
> The question posed there was, I think, already pretty clearly
> answered:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/04/msg00014.html
>
> AFAIK we've only ever discussed the need to provide source.  I don't
> know why there would be a requirement to reminify.

I agree the question of shipping minified code in _source_ packages is
discussed and permitted when its source is included as well.

I see no reason to require javascript code shipped in binary packages to
be minified.

I do see a reason to require that *if* such code is minified then the
minification must be done during build, not upstream.

...just to make sure we are discussing same thing here.

 - Jonas