Re: ask github to encourage signed git tags

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> writes:
> Yes, I do! I've pinged a friend at GitHub and CC:d the people who have
> participated in this thread so far. Let's see how that conversation goes.

Just as an FYI, signing a git tag produces a slightly weaker security
guarantee than signing a tarball.

Specifically, an attacker who is capable of a second-preimage attack on
SHA-1 can forge git commits which will still verify if signed.  No one
has publically been able to produce even a collision in SHA-1 yet,
though most people suspect it is either already in the capability of
state-level attackers or will be in the next few years.  Second-preimage
is harder than just producing collisions, but it is still something
that's good to be aware of.

Sincerely,

--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg