Re: a script to help maintainers with renames for gcc packages

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> (2015-08-12):
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 03:14:18AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Thanks! Does the hazardous sed call touching debian/rules now account
> > for the dh_makeshlibs call(s) that might have been missed previously?
>
> I don't know about dh_makeshlibs calls specifically.  The script is not
> perfect, and there have been some manual fix-ups needed for some source
> packages prepared using this script.  Two cases that I know of:
>
>  - if using d-shlibs (which... don't.  thanks), you need to pass a --v5
>    option to it in debian/rules.
>
>  - if your debian/rules is very manual and includes things like
>    dh_suchnsuch -p<runtimelibpkg> [...] in it, this script fails to fix
>    those up (due to lack of whitespace before the package name).
>
> The second of these may be the problem you're describing wrt dh_makeshlibs?
>
> Anyway, both of these issues are fixable in the script with some additional
> seddery, if someone is so inclined.
>
> > (I've hinted jmw in this direction a few days ago for libktoblzcheck1c2a
> > vs. libktoblzcheck1v5 as seen in NEW, and you might have been notified
> > afterwards; maybe fixing this was just a matter of throwing debian/rules
> > at the end of the said sed call, and all is well already.)
>
> Sorry, I hadn't heard anything about libktoblzcheck.

It seems Matthias fixed it this way:
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/wily/libktoblzcheck/wily/revision/40

which matches the second case you were describing: no space before
package name because it's glued to the -V. A few various ways seen
through codesearch:
  -V'libfoo …'
  -V"libfoo …"
  -V 'libfoo…'
  -V "libfoo…"

It might be a good idea to adjust the script before using it on too
many packages.

Mraw,
KiBi.