Re: Debian with HiDPI / 4K displays

 ❦ 10 août 2015 23:29 +0200, Simon Kainz <skainz@debian.org> :

>>> This handles the majority of programs I use.  A few notable
>>> exceptions: gitk scales up some but not all of its fonts
>>> (reported as a bug), Celestia's and stellarium's in-rendering
>>> text (reported as bugs), old X utilities like
>>> xcalc/xconsole/xedit/xdvi/xmag/xman/xmessage (not really worth
>>> reporting, better to replace them with modern tools), and
>>> anything that relies heavily on toolbars like
>>> gimp/inkscape/audacity (tools and other UI elements not scaled
>>> up, since they don't use text; unfortunate but expected, as they
>>> don't have non-integer scaling).
>>
>> I don't have any such problems with Gimp and Inkscape and Xft/DPI
>> set to 144 (both through xrdb and XSETTINGS). All GTK apps are
>> behaving correctly, notably Gimp and Inkscape. It seems GTK is
>> doing complex stuff to determine the scaling to be applied, so many
>> things may influence it. Other apps fail to understand how GTK
>> works and try to emulate it by piling hacks together (notably
>> Chromium).
>>
>> I could show you at Debconf to spot a configuration difference.
>>
> I am also very interested in this (at Debconf), as i own a MacBook Pro
> running Jessie with no problems so far, except some very tiny
> checkboxes/radiobuttons in firefox and tiny buttons in gimp/inkscape.

I may have been overly enthusiastic. Since I am only at 1.5 scale, tiny
icons are not really my concern:

See Gimp and Inkscape:
 http://postimg.org/image/g5i6rfgsz/

So, there are more stuff than Xft/DPI to adjust. I suppose that setting
org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor to 2 may help. However, I am
unable to test as it is not based on XSETTINGS but it's just a
gnome-control-center property.
--
Having nothing, nothing can he lose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"