Re: Tighter systemd integration for stretch?

> On Aug 8, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Frank Bauer <frank.c.bauer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded my main machine from wheezy to jessie (like I do since
> woody) this morning without much problems - kudos all!
>
> I spent the day exploring systemd and its ecosystem and have noticed
> Debian is in kind of a transitional phase.
>
> Zb. acpid is installed by default, but the events are handled by
> systemd-logind anyway. There is no issue for me to remove acpid and
> acpi-support-base (which I did), but it would be cool to have just one
> thing for the given usecase installed by default.
>
> Digging further I have configured the systemd-networkd (my setup is
> pretty simple configuration using bridge) and was able to get rid of
> isc-dhcp-client, isc-dhcp-common, ntpdate and in the end ifupdown.
>
> So my question is, whether we can expect more systemd integration out
> of the box (hey, it is installed anyway) and more streamlining of the
> surrounding packages?

systemd-networkd is still WIP and some basic functions (temporarily disabling an interface for reconfiguration) are not available.

> Example: now the net.agent of udev complains in the syslog several
> times for various devices:
>
> ERROR: /sbin/ifup not found. You need to install the ifupdown package.
> net.agent add event for br0 not handled.

You need to move the udev integration of ifup down to the ifupdown package instead of having it in udev. There should be more about this in the debian-devel archives under the ifupdown orphanage thread.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Norman