Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 05:07:38PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Guido Günther writes ("Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools"):
> > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 03:21:59PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > I think the problems you are describing arise when the user does _both_
> > > (a) manipulate the patches in debina/patches/ (with maybe quilt) _and_
> > > (b) manipulate the upstream code in git.
> >
> > Yeah, but this happens easily with a patched tree and people having
> > different work flows.
>
> Mmm.

I should add that git-buildpackage itself can handle both patched and
unpatched tree on the packaging branch. The current defaults point
heavily into the "use unpatched tree" direction though because it seemed
the sanest thing back then and I still think that's the case but
hopefully we can discuss this at DebConf.

> > > sensible for gbp users who want to publish a directly-useable git
> > > branch to treat the dgit branch as an export format: ie, to explicitly
> > > convert to it, and to convert _from_ it where necessary.
> >
> > This could be done with a post-tag hook in gbp for the time beeing and
> > maybe move into the core if it proves useful.
>
> I think there may also be a difficulty with the debian/<version> tags
> referring to different trees.

If the debian/ tag needs to point to a patched tree that's the case.

> > That said, I have plans to make the "patch queue branch" pushable as
> > well - in that case we could use that directly.
>
> Perhaps so.
>
> Will you be at Debconf ?  ISTR seeing you in the schedule.  If so I'd
> love to get together with you to see if we can improve the
> compatibility.  Lots of people are using gbp and I'd like them to be
> able to easily publish their git history via dgit, so that dgit users
> see the gbp history (or some derivative of it).

Yes, please.
Cheers,
 -- Guido