Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools

Guido Günther writes ("Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools"):
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 03:21:59PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I think the problems you are describing arise when the user does _both_
> > (a) manipulate the patches in debina/patches/ (with maybe quilt) _and_
> > (b) manipulate the upstream code in git.
>
> Yeah, but this happens easily with a patched tree and people having
> different work flows.

Mmm.

> > sensible for gbp users who want to publish a directly-useable git
> > branch to treat the dgit branch as an export format: ie, to explicitly
> > convert to it, and to convert _from_ it where necessary.
>
> This could be done with a post-tag hook in gbp for the time beeing and
> maybe move into the core if it proves useful.

I think there may also be a difficulty with the debian/<version> tags
referring to different trees.

> That said, I have plans to make the "patch queue branch" pushable as
> well - in that case we could use that directly.

Perhaps so.

Will you be at Debconf ?  ISTR seeing you in the schedule.  If so I'd
love to get together with you to see if we can improve the
compatibility.  Lots of people are using gbp and I'd like them to be
able to easily publish their git history via dgit, so that dgit users
see the gbp history (or some derivative of it).

Ian.