Re: How to deal with fixed but open bugs

On Jul 29 2015, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
>
>> I'm looking at the bug overview page for src:python3-llfuse
>> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=python-llfuse). The
>> first thing it lists is the apparently nasty grave bug #775056.
>
>> However, this bug only exists in wheezy, it's fixed in both jessie and
>> sid. As far as I can tell, the bug is correctly marked with found+fixed.
>
>> Therefore, it bothers me a lot that the bug features so prominently on
>> the bug overview page. Every time I look at the page, I first think that
>> there's something that needs my immediate attention. Is that normal /
>> expected (the appearance, not my reaction :-)? This bug has essentially
>> been resolved, so I would have hoped that this is somehow reflected more
>> visibly in the bug overview.
>
> You should close this bug with the version in which the bug was fixed.  It
> sounds like you had made the mistake of setting the fixed version directly
> instead of just closing the bug.  That's not how this is designed to work;
> normally, you should just close the bug with the version number that
> contains the fix, and everything else will work properly.  The commands to
> manipulate the fixed version are there primarily to fix the version if it
> was closed with an incorrect version or with no version.

Ah, ok. The bug was already fixed in jessie at the time it was
reported. So instead of just setting it to fixed in wheezy, I should
have sent an email to NNN-done@bugs.debian.org *and* set it to fixed in
wheezy? Or is there a way to directly close with the right version
number (I assume using the Changelog is one option, but I believe that
doesn't work if the package with the fix is already uploaded).

Best,
-Nikolaus