Re: How to deal with fixed but open bugs

Hi Nikolaus,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 08:12:57PM -0700, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I'm at a loss how to best use debbugs, I hope someone can offer some
> advice / best practices.

> I'm looking at the bug overview page for src:python3-llfuse
> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=python-llfuse). The
> first thing it lists is the apparently nasty grave bug #775056.

> However, this bug only exists in wheezy, it's fixed in both jessie and
> sid. As far as I can tell, the bug is correctly marked with found+fixed.

> Therefore, it bothers me a lot that the bug features so prominently on
> the bug overview page. Every time I look at the page, I first think that
> there's something that needs my immediate attention. Is that normal /
> expected (the appearance, not my reaction :-)? This bug has essentially
> been resolved, so I would have hoped that this is somehow reflected more
> visibly in the bug overview.

Normally, such a bug is closed with 'close' rather than 'fixed'; the
difference between these two commands being *whether* to continue showing
the bug as a going concern.

> Should I just close this bug? But wheezy is not yet out of security
> support, and there is the LTS initiative.

IMHO these should not rely on maintainers keeping the bug in a state that
causes it to be shown as "open" in the default view.  I'm not sure if adding
a 'wheezy' tag is sufficient to keep the bug from being archived if closed,
I seem to recall that it's meant to but that was several releases ago.

Alternatively, you can use this view as maintainer:

  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=python-llfuse;dist=unstable