Re: Packaging ASL

On 21/07/15 12:25, Zeev Pekar wrote:
Dear Debian Developers,

I wanted to see ASL - Advanced Simulation Library <http://asl.org.il> as
part of Debian. I contacted an experienced DD who kindly agreed to
upload and maintain it however he didn't have the time to create the
initial package (see his email bellow). I was advised to create it
myself according to this guide:

http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html

After looking on the doc I decided to give it a try (despite having no
packaging knowledge/experience) and after overcoming some technical
difficulties I managed to make some progress:

ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/asl.git

Later it turned out (see second email) that the doc describes only the
steps specific to Debian Science while there is much more to do/read (->
"New maintainers guide", etc) :-(((
May I ask somebody to volunteer to finish the initial creation of the
package, so it can be uploaded?
It has been developed/tested on Debian since 2010 so the process should
be smooth.
Packaging efforts for other distros are underway and probably can be
helpful for Debian [1].

Thank you,
Zeev
------
In short about the library:
It is an OpenCL-based multiphysics simulation software that can be
deployed (besides CPU) on different massively parallel architectures
like GPUs, FPGAs, DSPs etc. and covers a variety of physical and
chemical phenomena. It can be utilized in a number of fields:

- CFD: http://asl.org.il/benchmarks/multicomponent_flow/
- image-guided surgery: http://avtechscientific.com/cryovision
- crystal growth:
https://github.com/AvtechScientific/ASL/blob/master/examples/levelSet/levelSetFacetedGrowth.cc
- virtual sensing (i.a. medical): http://avtechscientific.com/brainshift
- R&D of biomed devices (i.a. microfluidics):
http://avtechscientific.com/focus
- etc., etc..
------

[1]:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libasl/
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lupinix/ASL/
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:ealin:physics/ASL

Hi all,

I talked to Zeev regarding this package and I would upload
it, if its packaging state would fit to our requirements. But
sorry, I do not have time for the moment to package it from
the zero point.

Surely, it would be a nice package for the scientists and
engineers in Debian archive.