Re: debian github organization ?

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> writes:

> The problem with per-role accounts is the loss of connection and
> reputation on loss of account. The growth of social media and social
> coding is changing the workplace. No longer is a role associated with a
> job. Rather, reputation and authority follow individuals. This is a
> shock to corporate culture, who are just going to have to suck it up and
> adapt. The world has changed. Consider the growth of Bring Your Own
> Device. Do you also discard your Google, StackExchange, and LinkedIn
> profiles when you change jobs? I think not. GitHub is no different.

I get what you're saying (although yes, of course I discard my Google
profile when I change jobs -- duh).  And indeed it's nice to have ones
contributions follow one in GitHub.  However, this is entirely orthogonal
to Ian's point, which is that this model is inherently insecure.

A model where you can spin off separate commit identities for one
institutional identity would be ideal.  Failing that, people do use
multiple accounts because security is more important than coherent
identity for their application.

> In any case, I think it would be great to have one or more Debian
> organizations on GitHub.

Debian's primary objection to GitHub has nothing to do with the questions
of identity.  I think that was just a side comment.  GitHub is not free
software.  Debian is never going to get past that (nor should it).  There
are lots of great platforms and great applications out there that aren't
free software, but that's not the role that Debian plays in the world.
The whole *point* of this project is to develop and use free software.