Re: Proposal v2: enable stateless persistant network interface names

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 08:16:12AM -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
> Think about it.  Any program can deal with any name or naming
> convention.  It doesn't matter whether the name is obfuscated or not.  A
> human sysadmin, however, has a much easier time using eth2 than
> enx3c52ca.  Binary ids are for programs; short, easy-to-use names are
> for humans.

While I agree that including the complete hex ID of a network interface
isn't very user friendly, I also can't extract any value out of "eth2"
or "em1" if there is more than one interface and (especially) more than
one machine. So I usually resort to the MAC address in "ip link". In
which case not including part of the identifier makes for an additional
roundtrip. On the other hand I'm more of a fan of actually naming
interfaces by their purpose or external labeling. Makes for even less
mental gymnastics. \-:

Kind regards
Philipp Kern