Re: Proposal v2: enable stateless persistant network interface names

Am Mittwoch, den 03.06.2015, 12:01 +0200 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> The main objection in the discussion was that path based names aren't
> appropriate for USB based devices. I agree, so I change my proposal to
> use MAC based names for anything USB based. The names will look even
> worse as they include the MAC in hex (enx112233445566), but the two
> goals "use MAC for these devices", "don't maintain state files in
> /etc", and "avoid any collisions" don't leave room for much else.
>
> However, on a desktop you don't ever care about the device names, and
> higher-level firewall tools will also hide this. After all, we
> survived the step from /dev/sda1 to UUID=112233DEADBEEF... as well :-)

How about adding a easy-to-type symlink for MAC named devices? Would
that work? Then users could refer to a device by the persistent MAC name
enx112233445566, but also could use a short name like eth2 (which might
not be persistent).

It would be similar to hard drives. I used UUIDs in /etc/fstab, but
short names like /dev/sdb3 when calling mount on the command line.

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

ProfitBricks GmbH
Greifswalder Str. 207
D - 10405 Berlin

Email: benjamin.drung@profitbricks.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 125506B.
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Gauger, Achim Weiss.