Re: Is the Debian dependency system broken? (wget vs libgnutls-deb0-28)

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 16:03:32 +0200, Vincent Lefevre
<vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:
>Normally, a well-designed dependency system should make sure that the
>user cannot install an incorrect combination of packages (avoiding
>segmentation faults and internal errors), e.g. during a partial
>upgrade. But it appears that this is not the case, and users are
>required to do "apt-get (dist-)upgrade" and can no longer rely on
>"apt-get install <some package>" to upgrade just the wanted package
>and dependencies:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=788710#10
>
>Note that the problem still occurs on an available set of packages:
>just start with a Debian/stable system (jessie) and upgrade
>libgnutls-deb0-28 to unstable (no dependencies/conflicts will
>yield an upgrade of wget, which will occasionally segfault).

So gnutls-deb0-28 needs a versioned dependency on the correct wget
version. Is that a problem?

btw, please read up on bug severities. I consider filing this bug as
"grave" quite short of being offensive.

Greetings
Marc