Re: libre version of iceweasel

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:42:19AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:40:45AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Jun 09, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > > open question: is there a perceived need to dig into the source code
> > > of firefox and, just as was done with google-chrome to create
> > > chromium-browser, permanently patch out certain "features"?
> > No: I am a grown up and I can choose by myself which features of
> > a software I want to use. No nanny maintainers, please.
>
> This question is not about features, but about the fact that this
> effectively incorporates something as default which would otherwise be
> frowned upon for something in Debian's "main" repository. "Pocket" is a
> non-free service.
>
> Having said that, we do have other packages in main which talk to a
> non-free service; e.g., there's some facebookchat plugin for some chat
> programs (I forgot which). This is no different.
>
> So while I understand Luke's concern, given Debian's current practices
> there is no reason to reject this functionality.

And even without looking at other packages, iceweasel has had a search
box for years, which defaults to using Google, which is a non-free
service as well, and so are the alternatives that are provided,
including Yahoo, Bing, Amazon and even DDG that many free-software
supporters like to pride themselves of using (although a few parts of
DDG are open-source-y now).

Mike