Re: libre version of iceweasel

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:40:45AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 09, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>
> > open question: is there a perceived need to dig into the source code
> > of firefox and, just as was done with google-chrome to create
> > chromium-browser, permanently patch out certain "features"?
> No: I am a grown up and I can choose by myself which features of
> a software I want to use. No nanny maintainers, please.

This question is not about features, but about the fact that this
effectively incorporates something as default which would otherwise be
frowned upon for something in Debian's "main" repository. "Pocket" is a
non-free service.

Having said that, we do have other packages in main which talk to a
non-free service; e.g., there's some facebookchat plugin for some chat
programs (I forgot which). This is no different.

So while I understand Luke's concern, given Debian's current practices
there is no reason to reject this functionality.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26