Upstream and packaging

Hi,

What about creating a guide line where upstream creates a directory
Packaging where sub directories are like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint,
Redhat, CentOS, Suse and such?

So Upstream can ship their tar-balls / git repositories with
the package stuff ( Spec files, debian/ directories ) allready available.
Next distro have that way a starting point for their packaging.

My reason for such guide line is that I'm now bitten by our policy
that upstream should NOT include a debian directory in the top directory
and there is allready done packaging.

Does such a guide line allready exist?

Groeten
Geert Stappers