Re: Modern Debian packaging system for DevOps: does it exist?

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:57:01PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
> >  ❦ 14 mai 2015 14:02 +0100, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> :
> > > What is the reason for docker vs chroot, LVM snapshot or VM?
> >
> > It's hype! ;-)
>
> So can be ignored. Good. The remaining options are LVM snapshot,
> disposable chroot or a disposable VM. Those can be implemented in any
> number of ways but it needs to be a fresh, clean, predictable start to
> each build.

There is a significant amount of hype around docker, but it's not *all*
hype. It's definitely worth a look. I recall Hubert Chathi posted here
about a tool he wrote around Docker back in late March - in
<87lhiduele.fsf@desiato.home.uhoreg.ca>. I have a half-finished reply to
him that I'll dig out and send now.

Docker does a lot of heavy lifting around preserving images, having a
tree of related images, etc. which are very useful for COW related stuff.