Re: Re: Modern Debian packaging system for DevOps: does it exist?

Hi, Neil, thanks for a prompt reply.

I need to clarify our use case indeed. Some of our projects contain both free and proprietary code. So the "Privacy" feature I mentioned in the initial message means that packages built from these projects (currently) is only for internal use. We have private git and binary repositories, so now we are looking for a system that will turn our code into debs.

> What is the reason for docker vs chroot, LVM snapshot or VM?

First, the use of container virtualization is part of our policy. Also we didn't want to dedicate a distinct machine for packaging, so we decided to dockerize Debian toolchain. Moreover, Docker showed better performance (in contrast with hardware virtualization) and seemed to be the most suitable for fast deployment of the one-off build environment.

I learned a lot from your response, I'll try to study all of them, especially pybit. To be honest, I'm not familiar with a package maintenance techniques, but I have to learn it now.

Sincerly,
Vitaly Isaev