Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 23:57 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 08 mai 2015 à 20:14 +0200, Marc Haber a écrit :
> > Do we have other network software other than ifupdown,
> > systemd-networkd and network-manager, the latter handling dynamic
> > names rather ungracefully.
>
> The NM configuration is based on MAC addresses and doesn’t care about
> the interface name at all. This is the exact opposite of “handling
> dynamic names ungracefully”.

Well, that's assuming hardware that has a permanent MAC address.  What
does it do for virtual or cheap hardware that gets a different locally-
assigned address at each boot or hotplug?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison