Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 02:36:30PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
Why?  What does a stable name matter in the case you mentioned?

Because I don’t want to look up the interface name of the day when I use wireshark/tshark? Because I don’t want to change my iptables scripts which is working very well the way it is?

Were you actually using ifupdown to manage the varied set of wireless
networks?  Because if not, then the name shouldn't matter.

Yes, I’m using ifupdown. Besides USB NICs don’t have to be WiFi.

You may switch the the naming scheme in virtual environments, but only here.

SLES is using some strange interface names like em1 or p1p2, but I hate it. I prefer my eth0 name.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |