Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 12:41 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 2015 00:33:58 -0700, Josh Triplett
> <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> >To help migrate existing systems, I'd suggest including a NEWS.Debian
> >file that explains the change, and recommends deleting
> >/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules on systems that don't depend
> >on the exact names (for instance, systems that run NetworkManager rather
> >than hard-coding network configuration in ifupdown's
> >/etc/network/interfaces).
>
> How about adding net.ifnames=0 explicitly on installation, thus
> keeping the system bootable, with the documentation that the
> configuration change should be (a) manually and (b) atomically?
[...]

We don't currently have a way for packages to install kernel parameters
that boot loaders should append to the command line.  I think we should.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.