Re: debian github organization ?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:04:40 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > git won the DVCS argument a long time ago. github won the DVCS UI
> > argument a long time ago - it is clearly the one UI that the
> > largest number of git contributors actually want to use.
>
> Are there any good DFSG-free desktop UIs for git?

For desktop UI, I find qgit to be usable. However, that's just for
viewing branches, diffs and history - contributions need to come via
something off desktop and qgit does little to help me when reviewing
patches submitted by others beyond what I would see anyway with a
web-based diff frontend or the superb 'meld'. (I don't know where I
would be without conflict resolution support in meld - big *thank you*
to the meld maintainers & upstream - I grew to like meld when I was on
svn, it has become even more important and useful with git).

So I should clarify that, github won the DVCS web UI ... it's
contribution support and repository creation / browsing / searching
support is far better than any of the other tools I have to use
(command-line, desktop or web). Integration with an issue tracker
actually works when most alternatives do not, the wiki is fast, usable
and has a nicer rendering than any other wiki I regularly use. I also
look at github and sites like it when planning how to implement new web
UI features in my own free software. More important than all that, it's
where the users are. It's a circular argument, I know, but I use it
because that's where people expect to find stuff and where people
expect to be able to contribute.

TBH I'm far from worried about a web service like github being
run on non-free software. It's not the sole source for anything I care
about, it provides a useful service to me but if it went away, meh, it
went away - I'd just have to find out where the users went and probably
follow. It's not that github is the best possible answer, it is the
best current answer and has a large, interested, user base. It's
primarily the user base that matters, the UI support is very good but
secondary to me. Ignoring or snubbing github won't affect github or
reduce it's usefulness to others - it will just cut off a possibly
interesting source of new contributors.

--

Neil Williams