Re: debian github organization ?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 00:01:29 +0100
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> >Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> writes:
> >
> >> So, yes, it's nonfree. Yes, it's controlled by DDs. No, I don't
> >> think this should be the Vcs-Git: target. No, I don't think we
> >> should endorse GitHub. Yes, we need free tools. Yes, we should
> >> contribute to the F/OSS community where upstreams are.
> >
> >That last part seems to deny the D in DVCS. Why are we under such
> >pressure to use one particular centralised service?

We are not - however, there is good reason for everyone to not have to
work with every git service on the net. Many to Many is worth doing,
Every to Every is insane. There has to be somewhere where a number of
"small fry" services push mirrors to make their code accessible to the
many. We know this already from working with so many upstreams for
Debian - some service needs to be a central mirror.

Few projects can work with git entirely using patches on a mailing
list. What works for one (admittedly large) user base does not work for
all - even if it does work for the upstream team, it typically does
*not* work for all potential contributors. Now with an extremely large
project, that can be an advantage by actually acting as a barrier to
entry. For smaller projects, there should be as low a barrier as
possible. The simplest way to that goal is to push to github. I don't
care what anyone thinks of github - that is the simple fact. If you
want to make the barrier to entry of your upstream project as low as
possible, you have to include github. It's actually a nice place to be
and it's trivial to work with as a project admin too. That's why people
use it - it's easy.

By all means lock your own little projects into alioth or personal git
servers but the reason to go to github is to make it easier for you and
the contributors. It makes no sense to ignore that.

git won the DVCS argument a long time ago. github won the DVCS UI
argument a long time ago - it is clearly the one UI that the
largest number of git contributors actually want to use.

> Agreed - it's really annoying to see everybody clamour for a
> centralised single point of of failure for git hosting. :-(

Sorry, Steve, you've missed the point of github being just a hub of
mirrored code. It actually does that extremely well, no other service
even comes close.

Github is just a centralised User Interface, nothing else. It is *the*
UI that most people seem to want. It avoids users having to have
hundreds of different web accounts and it is a simple hub. It's trivial
to push another copy of the source to github and keep the primary
source within the corporate access control server. That way, everyone
gets a chance to work with you without registering for a corporate web
account and upstream get to include github into their access-controlled
review workflow.

There's no reason for github to be the single remote for anyone with an
alioth account - there is also absolutely no reason for anyone to *not*
have a github remote for each of their upstream projects as one of a
handful of remotes. Why use a DVCS if you are not going to have
multiple remotes?

github.com/debian is a very useful service and I intend to use it
fully. I think a lot more Debian folk and a lot more upstream folk
should too. It's a hub, use it as a hub, as one of your remotes. Why
not use the biggest, easiest hub to reach the biggest number of
potential contributors?

What's not to like?

--

Neil Williams