Re: setlocale doesn't change the language. Why?

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 01:27:21PM +0000, Joerg Desch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm running Debian Squezze on a small AMD Geode based embedded PC. I need
> to use the gettext library independend from the system wide language
> settings to toggle the language for strings only.
>
> On my PC, the test runs within a chroot environment als expected. On the
> embedded PC, it doesn't switch the language with setlocale().

I've been fighting with that myself the other day.

echo $LANGUAGE?

If you don't want that, you need to

putenv("LANGUAGE=");

This is a GNU extension which does have some use, but it *breaks* in some
non-wrong use cases.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26