Re: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system

 ❦ 17 février 2015 12:57 GMT, Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckinstry@sceal.ie> :

>>> My system broke. It was fine, I did an upgrade -> jessie. It broke
>>> because of systemd and the fact I had /usr on a separate partition.
>> And no initrd? Mounting /usr is the job of the initrd.
>
> Examination after the fact showed that if I'd had the correct packages
> installed, it would have worked.  So from a Debian perspective this
> was 'notabug'.  (modules that were not needed day-to-day had been
> deleted by hand to make space on /.  A broken initrd was then built
> during dist-upgrade. My fault).
>
> But this didn't change the user experience: a system broke badly during
> systemd upgrade due to local changes.

There were other similar breakage totally unrelated to systemd. For
example:

In the meantime, moving libraries from /usr/lib to /lib or adding
symlinks was considered unproductive and the problem was fixed by
mounting /usr in the initrd:
Use variable names that mean something.